Monday, December 20, 2010

Colds Stink and California is Going to be Warm

Greetings all in this freezing weather,

I have sat all day inside the comfort of my house to wait out a head cold. I went on a Christmas Bird Count yesterday with two of my three birding mentors, Chris and Geoff. We found 40 species of birds in our little area of a 15 mile diameter circle, and overall, we had 74 different species of birds. If there had been no ice cover on the water, we could have found more waterfowl (Ducks, Geese, etc.) and therefore we would have had an even higher count. Throughout the day, I had to blow my nose, which was really annoying. My mom offered to take me home, but since we had to turn down a CBC last year, I was to reluctant to. So, I stayed and suffered. But, throughout the whole day we found some good birds. I found my Lifer Carolina Wren, #216 on my Illinois State List, and #176 on my Illinois Year List. It was a great bird, and here is a photo.



We also found three more birds, which were also new on my state bird list. #177, #178, and #179 which were American Black Duck, Gadwall, and a Great-horned Owl. On the count we were trying to hit 40 species, and we desperately were looking for a Red-brested Nuthatch. I happened to see one when we played the Screech Owl tape to get the birds active and concerned. It was #38 of our daily tally, and we were on out way. The countdown dinner was great at Pompeii, and I was able to converse with some great birders who were very nice.

By the way, a 'life bird' is a bird that you have never seen in your life, and a state bird is one that you have never seen in your state. It is a special occasion, and very exciting for me when I find a new addition to my list.

Tomorrow, I am flying to California to see my Grandpa and Step-Grandma. I am very excited to see them, and to bird the Palo Alto Baylands. I have some contacts from California that I have called up, there hopefully one day of birding will be in the Palo Alto region and the other in the Half Moon Bay region. Very exciting and hopefully some more life birds, and maybe some new state birds as well. I hope to keep this blog active during my trip out there, and I hope you will follow my thrilling journey.

Until ne... *Achoo!* ....xt time.

Nathan

No comments:

Post a Comment